Oral medicine is a specialty of
dentistry that is concerned with oral health care of all individuals and with diagnosis,
non surgical management of all disorders affecting the oral and maxillofacial region. The
specialty also extends its scope in maintaining oral health care of medically compromised
patients (patients receiving treatment for diabetes,
cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases & malignancies) and treating medically related
disorders affecting oral and maxillofacial region.
The department spans over a wide area with separate Oral Medicine and Radiology departments.
The clinical area includes dental chairs and is equipped with all sophisticated instruments necessary for diagnosis and treatment of oral and maxillofacial lesions. Radiology of head and neck is also included in this specialty. This branch deals with study of radiation, its use in imaging of head and neck and interpretation, which aids in perfect diagnosis. The radiology department is equipped with conventional intra oral radiographic units, digital radiovisiographic equipment and a CBCT machine with high FOV along with panoramic and cephalometric unit, full body X ray unit with digital printer. The under graduate students are exposed to wide range of patients with dental and maxillofacial problems, and all students get extensive clinical and radiographic experience in diagnosis and management of the same.
• Diagnosis and management of orofacial pain.
• Diagnosis and management of temporomandibular disorders.
• Diagnosis and management of oral mucosal lesions like lichen planus,oralsubmucous fibrosis, leukoplakia. Etc.
• Diagnosis and management of potentially malignant and malignant disorders.
• Identification, diagnosis and management of oral lesions related to various systemic disorders.
• Radiographic evaluation of various head and neck pathologies and trauma.
• Performing various investigative procedures like biopsy ,chair side investigations ,digital radiographic procedures for identification and management of various head and neck pathologies.
• Radiographic evaluation of diseases through intra oral radiographs, extra oral radiographs ,panaromic radiographs, tmj views.
• Advanced imaging techniques which include cone beam computed tomography (CBCT)
Services & treatments provided in
1. Diagnosis and management of oro facial pain.
2. Diagnosis and management of temporomandibular disorders.
3. Diagnosis and management of oral mucosal lesions like lichen planus, oral submucous fibrosis, leukoplakia.. Etc
4. Diagnosis and management of potentially malignant and malignant disorders.
5. Identification, diagnosis and management of oral lesions related to various systemic disorders.
6. Radiographic evaluation of various head & neck pathologies and trauma.
7. Performing various investigative procedures like biopsy, chair side investigations, digital radiographic procedures for identification and management of various head and neck pathologies.
8. Radiographic evaluation of diseases through inta oral radiographs , extra oral radiographs , panaromic radiographs , tmj views
9. Advanced imaging techniques which include cone beam computed tomography.
ACTIVITIES FOR UG STUDENTS
ORAL MEDICINE & RADIOLOGY – UG Oral Medicine and Radiology is a branch of dentistry that deals primarily with patient care, diagnosis, and treatment planning and medical management of the patients. The department of Oral Medicine & Radiology at GSL Dental College and hospital marks to be spacious, well equipped with hygienic environment. The department is equipped with the best faculty who Motivate students to learn, develop and realize their dreams.This department in involved in training III and IV BDS students. The third year students will be trained in taking intra oral periapical radiographs and recording a detailed case history of the patients. The students initially will be trained to take normal anatomical radiographs which in due course of time will be replaced with simulation manequins. The department is equipped with the latest advancements such as Photo stimulable phosphor plates for undergraduate teaching programme in Radiology. The students experience and expose themselves to observe and treat patients with a plethora of oro mucosal lesions such as leukoplakia, lichen planus, candidiasis, OSMF, pemphigus and rare cysts and tumours which enables them to become a good Oral Diagnostician
ORAL MEDICINE & RADIOLOGY – PG
The goal of post graduate course in Oral Medicine and Radiology is to train students in elaborate history taking, precise general and physical examination, making appropriate diagnosis, acquisition and interpretation of radiographs and nonsurgical management of disorders of the orofacial complex that include:
• Oral Cancer • Temporomandibular disorders
• Salivary Gland Disorders
• Vascular lesions
• Oromucosal Lesions
• Cysts and Tumours
The speciality also trains the post graduate students to deal with the pschycological aspects of the patients that could have a physical impact on the patient’s oral cavity as well as their systemic health. The Post graduate curriculum is divided into Oral Medicine & Radiology to be fulfilledin three years tenure of post-graduation. The Post Graduatehas to complete normal intra oral and extra oral anatomical radiographic excercises with tracings, 600 pathological interpretations, Special case recordings and age estimation using radiographs, pathological extraoral radiographic interpretations, treat oromucosal lesions with lasers and interpretation of cone beam computed tomographic scans. The post graduates are also trained in performing intra lesional steroids, obtaining smears and swabs for cytology, FNAC, brush biopsy, punch biopsy and incisional biopsy of oral mucosal lesions. The curriculum includes academic seminars, journal clubs, clinical case presentations. Apart from these, they are also trained in teaching the undergraduates. They also take part in various national and international conferences and present papers and posters enhancing their oratory skills. The post graduates dedicate themselves in research by conducting various short research projects along with their main dissertation requirements as per the university regulations. The entire PG curriculum revolves around research apart from their academic schedule fostering them to improve their creativity and innovation in the advancing science and technology. Oral Medicine & Radiology department at GSL is equipped with one of the best CBCT equipment. The post graduates are trained in taking radiographs and interpreting pathologies.