Oral and maxillofacial surgery is the surgical speciality of dentistry that focusses on reconstructive surgery of face, facial trauma surgery and other surgical procedures involving head and neck, oral cavity and jaws including cleft lip and palate.
It is a 3 year curriculum of post graduation with a broad scope and there is ability to undertake sub speciality fellowships in areas such as head and neck oncology, facial cosmetic surgery , microvascular surgery, orthognathic surgery, craniomaxillofacial trauma and cleft and craniomaxillofacial surgery.The oral and maxillofacial surgeon forms an important part of the cleft lip and palate management as well as in the correction of residual deformities of maxilla and mandible at a later stage.
•This field of dentistry focuses on treating facial trauma, dental infection, maxillofacial pathologies, oral cancer, facial deformities and facial pain.
• This facility serves as a link between the medical and dental fields.
• Provide both inpatient & outpatient care.
• Inpatient facilities have separate male and female wards with highly qualified nursing staff.
• On call doctors will be present around the clock to attend to any emergencythat arrives at all odd hours.
• The department is affiliated with the Employee Health Scheme (E.H.S.) and the Dr. YSR Arogyasree Health Scheme, which benefits patients greatly in the field of maxillofacial trauma.
• Teaching surgical skills to both undergraduates and postgraduates through a preceding preclinical course followed by a freehand course on patients while being supervised by an expert.
• The department placed an emphasis on teaching students how to perform basic life support procedures and implemented a new B.A.S.I.C.S programme for under graduates and post graduates.
Department of OMFS deals with
• Simple Extractions
• Trans Alveolar Extractions
• Therapeutic Extractions
• Surgical Extraction of wisdom teeth
• Surgical Extraction of impacted teeth
• Pre- prosthetic surgical procedures
• Cyst Enucleation
• Management of maxillofacial trauma
• Treatment of facial fractures under local and general anaesthesia
• Incision & Drainage
• Surgical exposure of Impacted teeth
• Oroantral fistula closure
• Orthognathic surgery
• Oral cancers
• Tumor Resection & Reconstruction
• Salivary gland disorders
• Temporomandibular joint disorders
• Cleft lip and palate repair
• Patient friendly atmosphere with the best outpatient and inpatient facilities.
• An outpatient department equipped with 30dental chairs with a separate cabin for minor surgeries
• Exclusive modular operating theatre with advanced equipments and ventilator units. The theatre has the latestlighting system and centralized air conditioning
• 8 bedded intensive care unit with advanced ventilator and multi monitoring systems.
• The ANATOMAGE TABLE set up at the GSL smart lab is one of its kind. It is easily accessible to all the undergraduates and postgraduates for precise and accurate learning
• perform virtual surgeries and study the outcomes, thanks to its fine detailing..!!
B.A.S.I.C.S. - Advanced skills and basic life support classes will be conducted for INTERNEES as a part of super intern program.
Inauguration of HEAD and NECK ONCOLOGY FELLOWSHIP and CRANIOMAXILLOFACIAL SURGERY UNIT by PRESIDENT, AOMSI and HON’ SECRETARY, AOMSI.